You can read more about Melissa at http://www.bandits.com/profileB.asp?bandetteID=200907
Friday, April 30, 2010
You can read more about Melissa at http://www.bandits.com/profileB.asp?bandetteID=200907
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
For another look at her singing, view this video of her singing 2 summers ago at Buffalo's Italian Festival.
Ashlee singing at Class Act
With looks like Penelope Cruz and the voice of an angel, who wouldn't want to see and hear Ashlee on TV every week?
Last, but certainly not least, we come to 2003 Jills alumnus Aimee L, seen here with the afore-mentioned Studio 54 Dance Band, where I finally got the chance to meet her myself. Aimee is no stranger to the spotlight in the Buffalo area after spending several years singing as the lead in the Disco Duck Band. These days, she's moved on from disco and sings rock, funk, and country with Naughty Dawg when she's not helping out her friends in Studio 54, feeding her disco and dance fix. http://www.naughtydawgband.com/
Sunday, April 25, 2010
The 2010 Buffalo Bandits regular season, which started off rocky to say the least, drew to a close in an exciting fashion Saturday night as the Bandits needed a win to make the playoffs. Thanks to outstanding performances by goaltender Mike Thompson and forwards John Tavares (3 G, 4 assists), Mike Accursi (3 G, 3 assists), Mark Steenhuis (1 G, 8 assists) and Roger Vyse (3G, 2 assists), the Bandits turned in a 13-10 win over Boston, a city whose hockey team is also engaged in some action against Buffalo's own Sabres. The Bandits helped give Buffalo a 2-0 weekend over Boston, except that next weekend, after the Sabres and Bruins have finished up their NHL playoff series, Bandits fans will be rooting for the Blazers to win their game against Orlando while the Bandits handle their own business in Toronto against the Rock, a team they are 2-1 against in 2010. A Blazers win, in addition to the Bandits win, will bring the Eastern Finals back to HSBC Arena the weekend of May 7-9. After that, the Minnesota Swarm have to make it through the West for the NLL Championship to be played in Buffalo, barring any unforseen circumstances such as what happened in 2007 when the Rochester Knighthawks had to travel to Arizona for the Championship Game they were supposed to host if not for a circus scheduled at Rochester's Blue Cross Arena.
Last year, with the 50th season celebration of the Bills and the AFL, the Bills threw a large season ticket holder draft party at the Ralph complete with locker room tours and appearances and performances by the Buffalo Jills. Attendance was much greater than expected with several thousand on hand. This year, with the switch of the draft from the traditional weekend event to a primetime event, the Bills found a way to still give some of their season ticket holders reason to make the trek to the Ralph with draft parties each day of the draft. They held one Thursday night for premium seat holders and while the response from that was mixed being on a Thursday, the parties on Friday night and Saturday for all season ticket holders drew a few thousand combined. This year's parties were held in the Fieldhouse and, like last year, included locker room tours and appearances and performances by the Buffalo Jills. The only negative was the bright screen behind the Jills as they performed. Word of advice to places staging a performance in the future...the light should be in front of the performers, not behind.
Friday, April 23, 2010
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
- Aug 13 7:30pm Bills at Redskins
- Aug 19 7:30 pm Colts vs Bills (Toronto)
- Aug 28 6:30pm Bengals at Bills (Kid's Day)
- Sept 2 7pm Bills at Lions
- Sept 12 1pm Dolphins at Bills
- Sept 19 1pm Bills at Packers
- Sept 26 1pm Bills at Patriots
- Oct 3 1pm Jets at Bills
- Oct 10 1pm Jaguars at Bills
- Oct 17 BYE
- Oct 24 1pm Bills at Ravens
- Oct 31 1pm Bills at Chiefs
- Nov 7 1pm Bears at Bills in Toronto
- Nov 14 1pm Lions at Bills
- Nov 21 1pm* Bills at Bengals
- Nov 28 1pm* Steelers at Bills
- Dec 5 1pm* Bills at Vikings
- Dec 12 1pm* Browns at Bills
- Dec 19 1pm* Bills at Dolphins
- Dec 26 1pm* Patriots at Bills
- Jan 2 1pm* Bills at Jets
Besides those dates, don't forget that the Jills will be on hand at the Fieldhouse for the NFL draft this week for the Buffalo Bills Season Ticket Holder Draft Parties on Friday and Saturday as well as Thursday for Premium Seat Holders.
Friday, April 16, 2010
Thursday, April 15, 2010
The 2010 Buffalo Jills have started their practices this week and while working on preparing for the Buffalo Bills Season Ticket Holder Draft Parties next week, they've also looked ahead to the preseason and their Junior Jills Program. The program is open to cheerleaders and dancers ages 7-17 and there's no experience necessary and no auditions required.
- Saturday, July 10th & Sunday, July 11th, 9am-12oon
- Saturday, July 31st & Sunday, August 1st, 9am-12noon
- April 23rd, Pott's Banquet Hall on Ogden Street hosts a benefit for the Matt Urban H.O.P.E. Center, a community-focused agency based on the East side of Buffalo. Its mission is to enhance quality of life, preserve neighborhoods, and encourage economic development. It costs $20 to get in and there are raffles and food on hand as well as the chance to meet a few of the 2010 Buffalo Jills at the event which runs from 5:30-9:30pm.
- May 1st, Coca-Cola Field hosts their annual MS Walk to fight Multiple Sclerosis from 9am-noon. The walk itself starts at 10am with registration starting at 9...show up early because some of the Buffalo Jills will be helping with registration as well as signing autographs and posing for photos. Get the details on the Walk at http://walknyr.nationalmssociety.org/site/PageServer?pagename=WLK_NYR_Details_Buffalo
- May 1st is also the date when Tioga Downs hosts the Jills from 3-7pm...a pretty nice event for anyone who's not in WNY and unable to make it to the Jills appearances closer to home.
- Also, don't forget the Jills Open Practice on June 1st from 7-9pm at the Fieldhouse. Last year's event was a major success so come join in the fun and have your kids learn from the pros for an evening. $5 for participants and $3 for spectators. Get all the details at http://buffalojills.net/Article.asp?id=1761903&spid=34534
Sunday, April 11, 2010
Last week's Bandits game started off with the Bandits behind for much of the game before tying it up and forcing OT, which they weren't able to take advantage of. This week's matchup was pretty much the opposite. A strong start had the hometown team taking a 7-2 score into the half. Unfortunately, a strong 3rd quarter by the visiting Rock made it a tie game less than 6 minutes into the 4th. Thankfully, assistant captain Mike Accursi capped off an MVP performance by putting the Bandits ahead for good as they are now in a 3-way tie for 3rd place with 2 games left in the season, sending the bulk of the 18,575 fans home happy.
Friday, April 9, 2010
BuffaloJills.net has just undergone a major redesign, putting it more in line with other Citadel websites like 97Rock and 103.3 The Edge. Included on the new site, in addition to many of the same great features we've been seeing on the site the last few years is a fan club signup where you can get more info on the squad and what's happening. Check it out at http://buffalojills.net/
Tuesday, April 6, 2010
Monday, April 5, 2010
Tryouts finished up and the new squad was announced last week with practices for the new squad starting up next week. However, photos have still been going up from 1st cuts at 97Rock from Jills Official Photographer Brian Garman. Now you can see all the photos at http://97rock.com//sectional.asp?id=37097 Included are photos of vets and rookies alike as well as a few photos of some of the vets getting a some last minute touchups on their hair. Make sure to stop at http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/buffalojills2005/2010/1st%20cuts/ where every vet as well as most of the beautiful rookies have videos up of their 1st rd tryout routines. Obviously the vets are labelled in the videos themselves but we'll be working on getting the rookies labelled below each video as well.
Also, take a look at a Bills Focus look at the 1st rd of cuts at http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/videos/Bills-Focus-2010-Buffalo-Jills-Tryouts/56ac1c75-7036-4dc7-bac4-4f66e05cf0a9
Finally, our reality star Amanda P, working on If I Can Dream with star maker Simon Fuller, is keeping busy in Hollywood after a weekend away from the house. About a week ago, she even shot a series of photos for a hot pin-up calendar. Make sure to check out the Calendar Shoot video here on the Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog.
Sunday, April 4, 2010
The Bandits' slow start against the team that beat them for the 2006 Championship came back to bite them as they fell behind early and never fully recovered. They did, however, give fans reason to cheer as, with 1:26 left in the game, they erased a 4-goal deficit to force OT but fell short in the extra session as the Mammoth buried a shot over goaltender Angus Goodleaf to secure the win, making the hat tricks by Mark Steenhuis, Brett Bucktooth, and Kevin Dostie into afterthoughts in the discussion of this game.
Thankfully, the Bandettes started and finished strong, back to their full squad of 13 girls with the returns of Jessica and Kirsten as they put on great performances during intermissions as well as during the game in the Zamboni entrance. They even sported some pink and black outfits in support of the NLL's efforts to "Black Out Breast Cancer" as players across the league sported pink helmets and, in some cases, even uniforms that will be auctioned off in support of the fight against Breast Cancer. Following the game, all but a pair of the girls joined the fans and players at Pearl Street Grill and Brewery to relax, sign autographs, and pose for photos. There was even a little bit of light banter between Bandettes co-captain Melissa and Bandits star Johnny Tavares. Melissa was this past week's NLL Girl of The Week and, as such, got front page billing on Bandits.com. She got bumped, however, when Tavares got awarded the NLL's Player of The Month award for March. This is one of the truly great things about the NLL, the mutual respect and camaraderie between the players and the dancers of the teams. In the NLL, the players play for the purest of reasons...the love of the game as none of them will ever get rich off of the paychecks they receive from the NLL. In the larger leagues like the NFL and NBA, this type of interaction between players and cheerleaders is rare because those players are, for the most part, less down-to-earth with all the money thrown at them in those sports.
The Bandettes will be back in action next week as the Bandits host the rival Toronto Rock at HSBC Arena Saturday night.
The final game of the regular season, on April 24th against the Boston Blazers, is preceded by a Bandettes Dance Clinic at HSBC Arena from 2-4. Open to females ages 16 and up, you will learn a Bandettes routine that has been performed at the games during the 2010 season. Whether you are interested in trying out next season or just want to come and dance for the day, this is for you!
Registration starts @ 1:30pm on the day of the event.
Cost is $20.
Please email the Bandettes @ firstname.lastname@example.org with your name to register or with further questions!
Friday, April 2, 2010
During the past two weeks, two Buffalo Jills Cheerleaders teamed up to provide their thoughts and insight to the Jills Cheerleader audition process. In today's final installment here on BuffaloBills.com, Lisa, a three-year Jills veteran and Natalie, the newest Jill, share their thoughts on making the 2010 Jills squad.
Lisa, Jills 2010 veteran;
Here we go!
The 2010 season has officially begun, and I couldn’t be more excited. The final team was announced this past Tuesday after the third cut. The new team has 44 girls total, 28 veterans and 16 rookies. I’ve had the opportunity to get to know a few of the rookies so far, and I’m really looking forward to the upcoming season with them.
Thursday, April 1, 2010
This week's Girl of the Week is Melissa, a member of the Buffalo Bandettes Dance Team. She is in her sixth year with team, having joined immediately after finishing high school and has served as a co-captain for the past three seasons.
Melissa started dancing at a young age and the passion has stayed with her through the years.
"I started dancing in a studio before I turned three years old. I studied tap, jazz, ballet, hip-hop and lyrical. I started cheerleading in middle school and danced competitively throughout high school. I also coached cheerleading while in high school and college," said Melissa.
- 11th season-captains Omarlla and Eileen
- 6th season-Katie
- 5th season-captain Christina, Valerie, Stefanie
- 4th season-Jess, Angelina, co-captain Amanda F, Lisa, captain Keisha, Vincenza, Laura, Brianne
- 3rd season-Jackie, Murissa, Anna, Kaitlin, Michelle
- 2nd season-Kristen, Kelly, Loren, Courteney, Gabrielle, Ruby, Alyssa, Lindsay, Nicole
- rookies-Amanda V, Caitlyn, Danielle, Emily, Gina, Jaclyn, Jessica W, Jill, Lindsey, Meghan, Morgan, Natalie, Sara J, Sara S, Taryn, and Jen G
- Brianne spent the 2005-07 seasons dancing on Omarlla's line before taking the last 2 seasons off
- Kristen and Nicole were rookie ambassadors last year and made the switch to the dance squad this year
- Vincenza, originally an ambassador, spent last season as a dancer and moves back to the ambassador squad this season